Martes, Hunyo 12, 2012

Why I Scream "Beat the Heat!" :)

I grew up in a house where basketball is never out of the daily conversation. My dad was a player in his HS team and both of my brothers play the game. Our CD racket has stacks of basketball videos of Chicago Bulls, Boston Celtics, San Antonio Spurs, Miami Heat, LA Lakers and many more. Sometimes the videos are so old -- even back to the time when their basketball shorts are so sexy. Hahaha. I know who Larry Bird is, why Magic Johnson is famous, why Michael Jordan shifted his attention to baseball once, why Tim Duncan was once a swimmer, so on and so forth. Through the years, I can say that I have the "Celtic Pride". While everyone else is going for LA or Heat, I cheer for the Celtics. There are only a few who still cheers for them now. Once, my choice of teams is affected by my brothers' or father's opinion. Right now, I think I finally have my own. One of it is this : I dislike (not hate) Miami heat.

"But why? You're nuts!" you might say. It's not that I really don't appreciate their skills and their absolutely almost-invincible line up. I know they're good but I just don't like them. As I thought about the question "Why", here's what I came up to:

1.) Let me see some team spirit, pretty please?

When Chris Bosh and LeBron James became part of the Miami Heat, everyone was "Oh yeah! A winner, baby!" Three intimidating superstars. Who wouldn't go for a team like that, right? Well, after I have seen some of their plays and heard (and read) that all the praises and trust go to LeBron James, I was like "Is this Miami's team? Or Lebron's?"

The game is always focused on James here, James shoots there, James dunks, James saves the Heat! James James James. I want to see the team spirit, I want to see a basketball superstar who knows how to share the spotlight with other members of the team. With James, when he gets the ball, the ball is only his. I don't like it.

Michael Jordan was also a superstar but what I really like about him is that he wants his team, above else, to be known as the Bulls and not only as the "Michael Jordan Team".

My heart also goes to Wade- who does all the job in the fourth quarter because James' knees start to buckle  during crunch time- because he shoots and scores yet does not get enough recognition for his efforts.

2.) Too many superstars.

Chris Bosh. Wade. James. Too much show. 'Nuff said.

3.) Bandwagon Fans

I don't want to be just a "Bandwagon Fan". These are fans who just put their bets on the Heat because the team is "promising", "sure to win", "invincible", "star-studded" and there was even one who told me "because their coach is a Filipino". Funny reasons to be a fan.

There are also some fans who never had a status about basketball before and then when the Finals come, they'd post "Heat wins! You can't beat us, losers!" Oh yeah? Since when did you become such a huge Heat or basketball fan? Do you even know where the 3-point line is?

I want to be a fan who really knows the stats, the skill of the player, the player's capacity to utilize his teammates. I don't want to become a fan just because "the coach is a Filipino". Hahaha.

I love the feeling of cheering for underdogs. A team that makes the whole world conclude that "Heat will beat them" and then proceeds to show the world that their opinions are wrong.. It is elating. Remember the Mavericks-Heat game? Yeah, that was awesome. :). Too many "bandwagon fans" were disappointed. HAHA.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I don't root for any specific team. Sure, my heart really belongs to the Spurs and Boston Celtics but if they're out of the game, Heat's opponent is my team! :D :D :D :D

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento

Mga Kabuuang Pageview

My Voice Thru the Globe

Flag Counter

Popular Posts